The Safehaven Project for Community Living (Safehaven) is a registered charity that provides residential and respite care to children and adults with complex medical needs.
The Lifeguard provides support to children and adults with complex medical needs in the Greater Toronto Area, by ensure safe swim practices are being observed.
Reporting to the location Client Care Coordinator; the Lifeguard works as a part of a multi-disciplinary team including Registered Practical Nurses, the Director, Programs & Professional Practice, and the Safehaven leadership team to ensure the highest quality of care and service delivery to the Safehaven’s clients.
- Supervise staff and clients in the pool
- Daily inspection and on-going maintenance of the pool including:
o Visually inspect and use Water Test strip the pool for cleanliness; o Clean skimmer baskets;
o Check pressure at pump;
o Maintain optimal water level;
- Ensure pool gates are locked when swim is over;
- Ensure staff who accompany the clients can swim safely;
- Maintain a 1:1 ratio of staff members to clients, including one floater staff for emergencies
- Develop and execute creative summer day camp activities
- Enforce pool rules and ensure anyone using the pool understands the rules
- Any other duties as assigned by the Client Care Coordinator
- Follows Health and Safety policies that are set out at Safehaven;
- Demonstrates a positive “health and safety” attitude, and reports any hazards to the Client Care Coordinator that the employee observes;
- Any other duties as assigned;
- Current NLS Certification through Royal Life Saving Society of Canada
- Must be able to direct staff members and anyone using the pool on pool safety.
- Must be flexible with work hours and able to work weekends or evening as required
- Previous experience working with children and youth with complex medical needs is an asset;
- Experience with maintaining a clean, chemically balanced pool;