Toronto Island Y Day Camp, Swan Lake Y Day Camp, Bruce's Mill Y Day Camp, Orangeville Y Day Camp, Cedar Glen Y Day Camp
Nature & Scope:
YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Camping and Outdoor Education department offers the highest quality Day Camp programs for children and youth in approximately 50 locations across the Greater Toronto Area. Our Summer Day Camps offer numerous programs for 4-16 year olds that are safe, engaging, fun and contributing to the YMCA of Greater Toronto. The Lifeguard and Boating Instructors are responsible for the safety and supervision of all participants of our waterfront programs. These programs can include recreational swimming and boating activities such as; kayaking and canoeing. They will be responsible for the safety checks, set up of the program equipment and environment, safety and supervision during program delivery as well as the clean up, and take down of program equipment. Successful candidates must be able to demonstrate a high level of customer service, and a sound understanding of risk management.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Safety; Monitors the safety of all waterfront activities and responds immediately to rectify any safety concerns; is proactive in their role in ensuring the waterfront environment is safe and organized.
- Supervision; supervises participants when on/in the water and is ultimately responsible for the waterfront environment. May be required to supervise activities in the water and/or in a canoe or kayak.
- Provides leadership to all YMCA staff; ensuring they have an understanding of how they can contribute to a safe, and positive waterfront experience for all participants, relays any concerns to their supervisor right away.
- Relationship building; continuously builds relationships with all YMCA participants. Provides exceptional customer service, proactively approaches families, ensuring they are having a positive experience.
- Responsible for attending all staff trainings and meetings; including any virtual trainings, as well as lifeguard in-services or program training prior to the season if required.
- Ensures Health & Safety procedures are being followed and maintained; and shares with the staff team the duties of ensuring both the waterfront environment and camp site is clean, organized and safe.
- Ensure administrative tasks are completed accurately and on-time including all paperwork associated with the boating program and waterfront logs are being filled out daily; maintains complete records of any accident/incidents.
- Acts as a positive role model for all participants and fellow staff through embodying the values of the YMCA, following all YMCA day camp guidelines, YMCA policies and procedure, and Ontario Camps Association guidelines Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association.
- Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum age 18 by December 31st - Minimum 1 year lifeguarding experience
- Current National Lifesaving Society (NLS) by first day of employment (Waterfront NLS preferred) and valid until at least the last day of your contract
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C that is valid until at least the last day of your contract
- Experience teaching canoeing and/or kayaking preferred - ORCKA Basic Instructor certified an asset
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to use frequent light to medium physical effort: lifting up to 20 kg (44 lbs.), bending and stooping, pushing, carrying and pulling
- May require physical activity for extended periods of time in all weather conditions
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
How to apply:
Questions should be directed to Janice.Choi@ymcagta.org
Not holding the proper qualifications for this posting?
Check our upcoming courses here